Upcoming Events

  • Show Dates and Details are subject to change without notice. Always check with the promotion to confirm.
  • ****************************************************
  • Saturday April 30 - Southern Championship Wrestling - 8:00 PM - SCW Sports Station - 3890 HWY 132 - Lytle
  • Saturday May 7 - River City Wrestling - 8:00 PM - Good Shepherd Lutheran Church - 1630 Goliad Rd.
  • Friday May 13 - Texas Wrestling Association - 7:45 PM - Texas Wolverine All-Star Gym - 1334 S. Flores
  • Friday May 27 - Texas Wrestling Association - 7:45 PM - Texas Wolverine All-Star Gym - 1334 S. Flores
  • Saturday May 28 - Southern Championship Wrestling - 8:00 PM - SCW Sports Station - 3890 HWY 132 - Lytle
  • Saturday June 4 - River City Wrestling - 8:00 PM - Good Shepherd Lutheran Church - 1630 Goliad Rd.
  • Friday June 10 - Texas Wrestling Association - 7:45 PM - Texas Wolverine All-Star Gym - 1334 S. Flores
  • Friday June 24 - Texas Wrestling Association - 7:45 PM - Texas Wolverine All-Star Gym - 1334 S. Flores
  • Saturday June 25 - Southern Championship Wrestling - 8:00 PM - SCW Sports Station - 3890 HWY 132 - Lytle
  • Saturday July 2 - River City Wrestling - 8:00 PM - Good Shepherd Lutheran Church - 1630 Goliad Rd.
  • Friday July 8 - Texas Wrestling Association - 7:45 PM - Texas Wolverine All-Star Gym - 1334 S. Flores
  • Friday July 22 - Texas Wrestling Association - 7:45 PM - Texas Wolverine All-Star Gym - 1334 S. Flores
  • Saturday July 30 - Southern Championship Wrestling - 8:00 PM - SCW Sports Station - 3890 HWY 132 - Lytle
  • Saturday August 6 - River City Wrestling - 8:00 PM - Good Shepherd Lutheran Church - 1630 Goliad Rd.
  • Friday August 12 - Texas Wrestling Association - 7:45 PM - Texas Wolverine All-Star Gym - 1334 S. Flores
  • Friday August 26 - Texas Wrestling Association - 7:45 PM - Texas Wolverine All-Star Gym - 1334 S. Flores
  • Saturday August 27 - Southern Championship Wrestling - 8:00 PM - SCW Sports Station - 3890 HWY 132 - Lytle
  • Saturday September 3 - River City Wrestling - 8:00 PM - Good Shepherd Lutheran Church - 1630 Goliad Rd.
  • Friday September 9 - Texas Wrestling Association - 7:45 PM - Texas Wolverine All-Star Gym - 1334 S. Flores
  • Friday September 23 - Texas Wrestling Association - 7:45 PM - Texas Wolverine All-Star Gym - 1334 S. Flores
  • Saturday September 24 - Southern Championship Wrestling - 8:00 PM - SCW Sports Station - 3890 HWY 132 - Lytle
  • Saturday October 1 - River City Wrestling - 8:00 PM - Good Shepherd Lutheran Church - 1630 Goliad Rd.
  • Friday October 14 - Texas Wrestling Association - 7:45 PM - Texas Wolverine All-Star Gym - 1334 S. Flores
  • Friday October 28 - Texas Wrestling Association - 7:45 PM - Texas Wolverine All-Star Gym - 1334 S. Flores
  • Saturday October 29 - Southern Championship Wrestling - 8:00 PM - SCW Sports Station - 3890 HWY 132 - Lytle
  • Saturday November 5 - River City Wrestling - 8:00 PM - Good Shepherd Lutheran Church - 1630 Goliad Rd.
  • Friday November 11 - Texas Wrestling Association - 7:45 PM - Texas Wolverine All-Star Gym - 1334 S. Flores
  • Saturday November 19 - Southern Championship Wrestling - 8:00 PM - SCW Sports Station - 3890 HWY 132 - Lytle
  • Friday November 25 - Texas Wrestling Association - 7:45 PM - Texas Wolverine All-Star Gym - 1334 S. Flores
  • Saturday December 3 - Southern Championship Wrestling - 8:00 PM - SCW Sports Station - 3890 HWY 132 - Lytle
  • Friday December 9 - Texas Wrestling Association - 7:45 PM - Texas Wolverine All-Star Gym - 1334 S. Flores
  • Saturday December 10 - River City Wrestling - 8:00 PM - Good Shepherd Lutheran Church - 1630 Goliad Rd.
  • ****************************************************
  • Please send results from any San Antonio area wrestling shows to bayou_926@hotmail.com (include "Wrestling" in subject line)

Saturday, June 13, 2009

Turn the Mics off! Part 2.

Turn the Mics Off! Part 2

Three and a half years ago, when I started the San Antonio Independent Wrestling Scene blog, I did so for 2 primary reasons. First of all, I wanted to provide a source of information to wrestling fans who were looking for upcoming wrestling shows in San Antonio. Secondly, I wanted to acknowledge the wrestlers who risk their health in the ring to entertain the fans. At no time did I intend to do the job of wrestling promoter.

During that time, I estimate that I have attended about 300 wrestling shows, witnessed about 2000 matches and seen about 500 wrestlers perform. Not all of those wrestler, matches and shows were great, but I have striven to present the information in as positive a light as possible.

Last week I published a blog in which I called for promoters to put an end to the practice of having announcers give live play-by-play commentary over the speakers during matches. In that blog I mentioned that I have never seen a great show which incorporated live play-by-play.

Today I went to a show which, although not great, might have been decent if it hadn't been for the live play-by-play. During the show I came to a conclusion. I won't be back. Furthermore, I won't be attending shows that I know to use live play-by-play. If I cannot enjoy a wrestling show, I'm not going to go.

If I attend a show and discover, after arriving, that they have chosen to us play-by-play, that will be the last show for that promotion I attend until such time that I am assured the practice will cease.

I will continue to accept results from these shows to publish on the www.saindywrestlingscene.com webpage. I will continue to accept announcements of upcoming shows and include those dates on my calendar. I just won't go to those shows.

I suppose this could result in the end of the San Antonio Independent Wrestling Scene as it currently exists, but I can live with that. I think I have been successful in my original goals and I truley believe what I have done is no longer as neccessary as it was three and a half years ago.

I take no credit for the rise of wrestling in San Antonio during that time period. I do feel that I have provided a worthwhile resource to the San Antonio wrestling community and hope that I will continue to be able to contribute. Now, however I believe it is time to refocus my efforts.

The following shows in the San Antonio area, I know do not use live play-by-play:
Anarchy Championship Wrestling
River City Wrestling
Southern Championship Wrestling
Texas Wrestling Entertainment

I will attend as many of those shows as schedule allows. Also, Warriors 4 Christ has gone back and forth on this issue. I will attend their shows as long as they do not use the live play-by-play. If they start using it again, I will stop attending.

I regret that there are wrestlers whom I have enjoyed watching who do not work on these shows and I will not be able to see them work until circumstances change. Perhaps these wrestlers will help encourage promoters to make the change.

Any other area promotions which do not use play-by-play are encouraged to contact me so that I may add them to the list of promotions which I can be comfortable attending.

Thank you for your support now and during the last 3 and a half years.
Barry
www.saindywrestlingscene.com

No comments: